Monday, June 4, 2007

Small Family Moment!

In the life of every child, especially toddlers, there are fake tears and real tears.

The fake ones are easy to recognize, especially with one's own child. The fake ones usually move me to frustration and to think quick on my feet and to pray for great patience and grace.

The real ones are similarly easy to recognize, I think. :)

Yesterday, Elizabeth shed some real tears. We were at our favorite Mexican food restaurant, Papa Perez (a must if you come to Bryan/College Station), for Matt's birthday with his parents and younger brother. When the waitress brought out his "Volcano", their version of a birthday cake, we all began singing "Happy Birthday." And I definitely mean ALL! Every person in the restaurant joined in, including a table of a dozen junior high boys. Needless to say it was really loud, especially when everyone clapped at the end.

I was sitting across from Elizabeth and watched as her little face began to tear up with big huge sobs. She was frightened by the noise. I felt the tears began to come to my eyes, too, knowing how genuinely frightened she must have felt. I wanted to take all the fear and pain from her heart and comfort her quickly. My precious one!

She did come to get some hugs from me after also getting comfort from her dad and Siti (Lebanese for "grandmother"). But what was the most endearing part was when she asked to go to see her Ghido (Lebanese for "grandfather"). The looks of joy, love, and contentment on both of their faces was my favorite part of the day. We love our family and are so grateful for every member!

And a big HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my darling Matt, too!

6 comments:

Miss Mommy said...

I seriously got teary-eyed just reading about it! Fortunately, I did run her over just the other day and saw the fake tears, so I am able to appreciate the difference.

The Knorr's said...

Yup, I am wiping my eyes as I type. Sniffle, sniffle. Precious Little E! May God use her sweet, tender heart for His mighty purposes.

Steph Harrison said...

not to toot my own horn, but didn't i introduce you to the deliciously famous Papa Perez?!

Shannon said...

Yes, yes~! It should be seriously noted that one Stephanie Harrison (formerly Anderson) was the person to introduce us to Papa Perez. We are forever indebted to her and feel our lives have not the been the same without her!!

G.R.Morton said...

Holding her at that moment was one of the moments I will always cherish. She asked for me!

Debi Morton said...

It was one of my favorite moments as well. I think we all almost cried when she cried--poor little thing was soooo upset. Still, she recovered enough later to have both grandparents and Uncle Dave eating out of her hand, so life was soon back to normal!