Monday, February 4, 2008

Not Sure What to Call This Post

So sorry for the less than clever title for this post. I was trying to think of something eye-catching and enticing but just couldn't come up with anything; however, I am open to suggestions. :)

I just have some odds and ends to catch you up on regarding Elizabeth, who has been saying some very precious things of late. In fact, last Friday, E prayed for our meal for the first time in her wee little life. We usually pray and thank God for our food because He truly does provide for us in everyway, and it is our joy to remember that by praying. Sometimes we ask E if she wants to pray, and she usually says No. Of course, this is fine; we certainly don't intend to force her to pray, for heaven's sake! Sometimes she teases us and says Yes, but then when the time comes, she backs out. Also, fine. However, last Friday was completely different. Not only did she volunteer, but she followed through. This was her first little prayer before mealtime, "Dear God (we were expected to repeat)...thank you for our lunch...we love you...in Jesus' name...Amen!" We totally attribute it to her wonderful preschool teachers, who so faithfully love her and guide her. (We wish we could take credit.) After the prayer, E immediately commenced to eating, and Matt and I just looked at each other, overwhelmed by the tenderness of her little heart. May God grant us grace to encourage her love for Him!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

On a different note, while Matt's mom was here last week, we all marveled at E's diverse and complex vocabulary. It is true that she lives with an former English major/English teacher, and she is surrounded by books. Yet, we're not really sure where she picked up some of these words (or how she is able to use them correctly). For example,

**crumpled - as in "My napkin is crumpled (barely). May I have another?"

**actually - as in "Actually, Daddy said I could have another brownie." Do I really look that naive?

**comfortable - as in "If I wear my pajammies to naptime, then I will be more comfortable."

**argumentative - as in "I am sorry I was argumentative, Mommy." Though the apology is endearing, I would much prefer not to deal with the arguments! :)

Remember, too, that as she says these words, she can't quite articulate them as an adult would, so they sound too cute coming out of her mouth. Well, maybe not "argumentative."

7 comments:

Miss Mommy said...

LOVE it all!!! We also have asked Rebekah to pray for our meal to no avail...I guess it's a little soon...anyway, I am most impressed with argumentative....

Thanks for keeping up on our blog...always fun to see your comments, sassy tho they be!

Looking forward to seeing you soon!

Debi Morton said...

Oh my goodness! I almost started to cry when I read about her first mealtime prayer. What a precious heart she has already so open to our Lord. And, of course, I love all her big words. My favorite, as I said when I was there, is "actually." I think I like it because she can't quite say the "l's" so it comes out so cute! And she sounds so definite when she says it.

Debi Morton said...

By the way, I do think it's ironic that in a post about Elizabeth's amazing use of words, you find yourself at a loss for words as to a title. Just an observation:)

estan said...

i enjoyed having elizabeth at our staff meeting today... she should come out more often.

Shannon said...

Momma, you are so right about the irony of the title and the words. It's so weird because I seriously could not think of what to call this one. Anywho, thanks for commenting! You (and Emily) are our faithful fans!

Shannon said...

Ethan, this morning while E and I were playing with Weebles, I told her what you said about liking having her at the meeting. She looked a little confused at first and then asked me if the "real Ethan" had said that or "the weeble Ethan." You see, how much you are still loved!

Tyne said...

shannon, it is fun to hear about your little ones. Remember when we were pregnant at the same time with Avery and Elizabeth? Abigail is darling and I love the things Elizabeth is saying. miss y'all!
tyne
www.tynerbock.blogspot.com