Friday, June 8, 2007

Ladybug!

For the past two weeks, Elizabeth and I have been learning about ladybugs. She now knows that they have two "ears" called antennae. They have have wings underneath their red shells, they have spots on their backs, and they eat aphids, which she pronounces "afuns." So this week we made a ladybug snack: half a gala apple for the body, peanut butter to help the spots stick, chocolate chips for the spots, and two pretzels for the antennae. It was fun for me, too, but I let her eat the ladybug herself. :)


Here she is studying the intricate details of her ladybug snack.
































By this point she was was super eager to eat her creation. You can almost see her saying, "No more pictures, please."



















Finally, it was time to taste, and the ladybug didn't stand a chance.



















Notice that the "spots" and "antennae" are already gone; they were definitely her favorite parts.

8 comments:

R said...

What a fantastic idea! I am going to tuck it away for future reference. I look forward to being able to do fun "lessons" with my own kids rather than 22 kids who do not belong to me!

Neither Mike nor I could believe how old Elizabeth is...it seems like just the other day Matt was announcing the birth of your big baby girl! =) She is absolutely beautiful. I can't wait to meet baby #2! Congratulations!!! -Rachel Whitenton

The Knorr's said...

Shannon, you are inspiring with your creativity and purposefulness! I'll just keep this idea for future reference. :)

Lauren Brown said...

looks like the most amazing snack ever, id give anything for some peanut butter right now!!!

you are so creative. what a fun fun fun idea for you two!! i love it!!

im so glad you are updating so often, i love being able to keep updated on your summer days of adventure!!

spain has been great again this week, i cant believe ive already been here three weeks. only three to go before i am home. its going by so fast.

i feel like im learning soooo much. my communication skills are improving daily, and im also learning a lot about the daily life in spain. there are a lot of things they do different here, rather than in mexico, if that makes sense. they use the vosotros form, which they dont teach in the states. so im just acquiring loads of new information. my teacher is so precious, her name is Mar, and she really enjoys talking with us girls (15 girls in my class, no boys!! so fun!) we talk a lot about social stuff in america versus social stuff in spain. she thinks we are all very funny and she laughs a lot. its a good time!!

well, i guess i will go now. keep updating. love you!

Unknown said...

Precious! I hope you guys are doing well Shannon. Ricky told me about your suggestions for my job hunt and I am so grateful for your input. As of today, I have applied to three districts - DISD, Richardson ISD, and Highland Park ISD. I know I'll end up in the right spot but the suspense and anticipation is killing me. :-)

I'll see you Sunday sweet friend!

Kelly said...

Oh my goodness!! Elizabeth is getting to be such a big girl and cuter by the day! I can't wait to hear about the adventures two Little Morties. :)
I miss you both!! Tell E that 'Miss Kelly' misses her and she will be back in Sunday school very soon. (In three months, that is. hehe)
Love you missy!!

G.R.Morton said...

I bet the bug was yummy

Miss Mommy said...

Oh, Shannon Morton Shannon Morton, I, too, will tuck this little idea away for my own little snack lover! I am shocked, will say it again shocked that you got any pictures at all before it was gobbled up!

Shannon said...

You're right, Em! I had to think fast and take the pics pronto. In fact, I almost forgot that I wanted any pics at all. But when I saw her eating it, I thought it was too cute to pass up. :)