Wednesday, June 6, 2007

The Negotiator

Over the past few months, we have seen glimpses of the personality God has given our sweet one. She is tender-hearted, compassionate, very, VERY observant with an excellent memory, passionate about reading, loving towards animals and babies, a connoisseur of culinary delights, and independent. One other faculty that E possess in spades is her mental acuity; this combined with her vocabulary means I am constantly thinking on my feet. Whew!!

In fact, all of these skills merge into the perfect storm when there is something that E really, REALLY wants. Case in point, snack time yesterday. Picture us in the parking lot of Wal-Mart. I am taking E out of the cart and putting her in the car when the following conversation transpired:

Me: Okay, we're going to go to the library, and when we get inside, I'm going to give you a snack!
E: Oooh, really?
Me: Yes! We'll go inside and look for books, and you can have your snack!
E: (sheepishly) I could have my snack in the car.
Me: (gently) Well, no, you'll have your snack at the library.
E: (now in her seat with a sly smile on her face) I could have some of my snack in the car.
Me: (a little more firmly) No, you'll have your snack at the library. (I close the door and walk around to the driver's side. I get in and E says...)
E: Mommy, I could maybe have some of my snack in the car.

You will be proud of me, I think, because I did not cave. We, in fact, did not have our snack in the car but at the library.

You've probably also figured out that this is why E has earned the nickname of "The Negotiator" in our house. Now I realize that there is a fine line between arguing and negotiating, and while E works on that, I'll work on timing my snack announcements.

P.S. You can't actually eat your snack in the library. They asked us to take it out into the hallway. :) Perhaps the car would have been better after all!!

5 comments:

Lauren Brown said...

haha. love this post.

i only have one minute left on my time here in the internet cafe so i will respond to your latest comment on my blog later. tomorrow, hopefully!!

love you!

The Uptons said...

As I read your post I was thinking, "they let you eat in the library? I'm so surprised!" Oh well, at least you didn't cave and yet Elizabeth still got her snack. If it had been Maxwell he would have said, "...and then I can have my snack in the car...maybe?!" as he lifted his brow up to see how we might respond. Our children are going to have a lot of fun growing up together (assuming we all stay close by!). --Matt U.

Miss Mommy said...

I, too, was happily surprised that snack time could happen in the library...too bad! After last weekend, I laughed hard at this post b/c I have so witnessed this first-hand...I also was amused at your tactical error of announcing snack time early... :)

G.R.Morton said...

I will hire her to negotiate oil deals. It is that kind of persistence that makes for a good negotiator! (oops, I guess I shouldn't encourage her...)

Debi Morton said...

I think Elizabeth inherited alot from her Uncle Dan. I'm sure E's dad would agree that his brother Dan owns the title Negotiator among the 3 brothers.