Sunday, July 29, 2007

Lesson Learned

As new parents, we are constantly learning what we should be doing, what we could be doing better, and what our little girl does and doesn't like. Well, here's a quick lesson we learned while in Austin.

It happened on the day we were planning on going to Whole Foods. Elizabeth was particularly interested in playing with the toys in the house where we were staying. In fact, she was so interested in them that even when we told her there were fun new foods to try at this place, she actually told us that she didn't want to go. This continued for an unusual amount of time. (Note: Elizabeth is a friend to all foods; there are very few foods she won't try or eat.) Anyway, the conversation ensued thusly:

Matt (M): Well, I guess Mommy and I will have to go and eat all those foods by ourselves, and we'll leave you here to play.
Shannon (S): Yeah, Elizabeth, we'll have to eat all those foods without you.
Elizabeth (E): (in her tender high-pitched voice) Wait! I want to come!!

Yes! A parental victory of sorts!! We got in the car and began driving south towards downtown. There was no need to discuss our superior parental strategy since it worked like a charm. However, about 15 minutes into the ride, Elizabeth asked us a question after having been silent that entire time (also highly unusual).

E: (with a note of concern) Mommy, y'all weren't really going to leave me at their house?

Eek! Are hearts breaking out there? Mine and Matt's definitely were. We looked at each other and knew we needed to correct our mistake as well as E's understanding of the situation. We would never leave her all by herself.

Well, it gets better (story-wise)/worse (parenting-wise). The next day as E and I had a girls' shopping day, we got in the car and drove off to Kohl's and Target. E's first question for me was...

E: (mixed concern and confidence) Mommy, you're not going to leave me at Kohl's, are you?

Then, after shopping at Kohl's and getting back in the car not an hour later...

E: (same notes of concern and confidence) Mommy, you're not going to leave me at Target, right?

Each time, I did my best to reassure and comfort Elizabeth and also to affirm the truth that we would never leave her somewhere. However, suffice it to say, our parental blunder had made a huge impact on our precious almost three-year-old. Whew!! Note to self: never threaten to LEAVE my little one! Hurt, confusion, and sadness will follow.

5 comments:

Miss Mommy said...

Thank you. I feel like that is a lesson I will need down the road...that was very heart-wrenching to be sure.

gwyneth said...

Awww... Poor little Elizabeth! and Poor Shannon and Matt! I hope she feels better soon.

Debi Morton said...

What a tender little heart she has. I can remember threatening to leave her daddy and uncles more than once and I don't think they gave a flip! Either they didn't believe me, or they were as ready for me to go as I was! Even though I had heard this story before, it brought tears to my eyes again to think of Little E thinking she might be abandoned, and to think of how your hearts must have broken to know she was feeing that way.

Shannon said...

Mom, absolutely true! Even to retell it made me hurt again in my heart. Perhaps that's why it took me so long to post it!!!

Margaret said...

Awww. I'll have to remember not to attempt that technique. Thanks for the tip.