Friday, November 9, 2007

"Are All the Children In?"

I came across this poem again from James Dobson's book called _The New Dare to Discipline_. Because of how meaningful it is to me, I thought I would share it here with you all. The first time I read it, it touched my heart so deeply that I found myself sloppy with tears. As I read it again, I really hope to be this kind of mom who cares for all aspects of her children, including their little hearts. I hope you like it, too. :) (This one goes out especially to my dear friend Sarah B. who will one day make an excellent mother, as the LORD wills.)

"Let me leave you with this wonderful old poem written by Alice Pearson. It focuses on the most vital responsibility in parenting - that of introducing our children to Jesus Christ and getting them through this dangerous and turbulent world. That should be, after all, the ultimate goal for every believing parent the world over.


Are All the Children In?

I think oftimes as night draws nigh,
Of an old house on the hill,
And of a yard all wide
And blossom-starred
Where the children played at will.
And when the night at last came down
Hushing the merry din,
Mother would look around and ask,
"Are all the children in?"

Oh, it's many and many a year since then,
And the old house on the hill
No longer echoes to childish feet,
And the yard is still, so still.
But I see it all as the shadows creep,
And though many the years have been since then,
I can hear mother ask,
"Are all the children in?"

I wonder if when the shadows fall
On the last short earthly day;
When we say goodbye to the world outside
All tired with our childish play;
When we step out into the other land
Where mother so long has been,
Will we hear her ask,
Just as of old,
"Are all the children in?"

4 comments:

Tyne said...

Hey Shannon,

so great to see your blog (found it through andrea's). Beth keeps me posted on Elizabeth through seeing her at Kingdom Kids. hope all is well!
tyne

Debi Morton said...

Shannon, yes it brought a tear to my eye as well. I am so grateful to know that all my sons and "daughters" will be in when the shadows fall in that other land, and will continue to be faithful to pray for Elizabeth, Abigail and their cousins to be in as well. Thank you for sharing this precious poem.

G.R.Morton said...

I really liked the poem. And I love the little girl in the Fall Festival pictures. Good photography mom, way to go E.

Cheryl R. Cox said...

I did NOT know you had a blog! Congratulations on the new baby! This is definitely going on the favorite blogs link from my blog! I just said blog three times in three sentences. It's such a funny word!