Saturday, January 26, 2008

Speaking of Abigail...

We thought you'd like to know why we gave her the names we did.

“Abigail” means “my father rejoices” in Hebrew. We loved the idea of raising a daughter who would be a blessing to her Heavenly Father as well as her earthly one. The biblical Abigail was a woman of great wisdom and diplomacy, and we pray that our little one will share those traits. (See 1 Samuel 25; of course, one of my primary jobs as a dad is to chase off any “Nabals” who might come around.)

Her middle name is Hope, as a reminder to us of the hope that God provides, even in circumstances that are sometimes difficult. We rejoice that in Him we have a hope that is eternal and cannot be taken away, because of Jesus Christ (Romans 8:35-39)! She is also a reminder to Shannon and me that sometimes God fulfills our hopes even now, as an expression of His mercy and kindness.

Also, I thought you'd be interested in some things I've noticed about Abigail:
--She has long feet and fingers (just like her dad).
--She has a little dimple in her chin (just like her mom and sister).
--She has the "Morton" cheeks!
--She is a very contemplative baby, content during her wake time to look around or right into your eyes.
--She likes to sleep!!
--She likes to cuddle, positioning herself neatly into the crook of my neck. (LOVE it!)

Abigail Hope is a precious gift from God, and I find that I am already deeply in love with her.

No comments: