Saturday, February 16, 2008

Hijacked!

As the dramatic title suggests, I , Matt Morton, have temporarily taken over this blog. Just for the evening, of course. Why this act of virtual violence? I had to tell a story about Elizabeth and Shannon, and write a bit about my dear wife. I know the blog is called “little Morties,” and is of course intended to focus on our two daughters. The following involves our daughters , but is more about Shannon.

Tonight at the dinner table, Elizabeth looked up at Shannon and said, “Mommy, I want to be like you.” The statement was unprovoked, very poignant, and of course brought tears to Shannon’s eyes.

As I reflected on that moment, it occurred to me that while Elizabeth enjoys playing with me and crawling on me and being chased by me, she wants to imitate her mommy. I may receive the laughs, but Shannon receives the genuine admiration.

I know most husbands feel that their wife is the best mother ever, but I honestly cannot imagine a better person to raise these two little girls. A friend of Shannon’s recently told her that when she thinks of mothers, she tends to put Shannon on the top shelf, in a league of her own; not that other moms are deficient, but Shannon is somehow exceptional. I agree.

For one thing, she seems to have an innate sense of what our children need at any given time. Not just physically, although I am still amazed at how she can tell which cries communicate hunger, or fatigue, or frustration, or just plain gas. But I am more amazed at how she seems to constantly have the pulse of the spiritual and emotional and intellectual needs of our daughters. Tonight at bedtime I listened in awe as Shannon and Elizabeth together recited 1 John 4:19. Seriously…she’s only three years old and memorizing Scripture. Thanks to Shannon’s patient and diligent effort, Elizabeth and Abigail are growing each day into women with a love for Jesus and an inner character like His.

Not only does she faithfully do all these things for our daughters, but she does them with generous helpings of grace and joy. The security with which E carries herself is a direct reflection of the kindness and love and laughter that Shannon pours onto her every day. Shannon strikes a wonderful balance between love and discipline, humor and seriousness, grace and truth. I am confident that Abigail will reflect the same poise and security, largely as a result of Shannon's dependence upon the Lord as she raises her. Those who know her have seen these qualities in action, but I felt compelled to share them here.

Alright, I should move along now…Shannon thinks I am studying for my sermon tomorrow, and she will no doubt be embarrassed by my post. Nonetheless, I just had to take over this little blog tonight to tell you what I see in her as a mom. I think the authorities will let this little hijacking pass, once they understand my reasoning. :)

10 comments:

Shannon said...

Okay, I totally got on this morning to add a friend's blog to my links when I find that my blog has been "hijacked!" I am embarrassed by this attention, but it also brought tears to my eyes. I have such a sweet husband, and I do love my little girls. Seriously, E's comment at the dinner table reminds me of the seriousness of what I'm doing and the need to be purposeful and wholehearted with it everyday. Sounds like a job for the Holy Spirit within me!

Shannon said...

Also, even though I was taking a little nighttime nap on the couch, I did wonder why it was taking you so long to prepare for your sermon. You seemed extra diligent last night, my love!

Miss Mommy said...

That made me cry! I whole-heartedly agree with it all and I, too, want to be just like Shannie!

Debi Morton said...

I completely agree with Matt's assessment of Shannon as a wonderful mom. I'm proud to call her my daughter-in-love and couldn't ask for a better mother for the precious ones who are my grandchildren.

G.R.Morton said...

Watching both Shannon and Matt I am in awe of both of them. Shannon clearly enjoys and connects with her kids in a way that few do, and the relationship they both have is truly something few have.--an old geezer that Elizabeth likes.

Tyne said...

Shannon,
How wonderful and awesome. God is so great and has done a marvelous job giving you everything pertaining to life and Godliness. Matt's entry encouraged me to be a better mom!
tyne

Steph Harrison said...

this post was so sweet and so true! i love you, shannie!

Shannon said...

For reals, everyone! You guys make me blush. thank you for making me feel so loved and affirmed. I am truly blessed!!

andrea poehl said...

i have SO much to learn from you. i love how you sheperd elizabeth's little heart. You do lead her with wisdom & purpose. i can only hope berkley might say the same thing one day.

Christine Hoover said...

Shannon,
How sweet is your husband! And how right he is! I have always enjoyed being around you with your family....you are so graceful and gracious!