Friday, May 30, 2008

MOSES!

Elizabeth loves to imagine; I mean she LOVES to imagine that she is other people. In the history of her imaginations, she has been "checkout lady," "Julia"- from Veggie Tales, "Megan,"-my hairdresser, and even someone named "Shinta." ?

Well, now she has taken up the beloved biblical hero Moses and not only asks, nay demands, to be called "Moses," but also plays around as if she were Moses.

For example, yesterday in the front yard I was working on our flower beds, and Moses (read: Elizabeth) was looking for her staff. She found one for herself and then one for me. (I thereafter became "Aaron.") We then went over to the large rock our neighbors have in their landscape and sure enough, Moses struck the rock and waited for water to come out. My faith is too small because I didn't believe it would come out (and it didn't), but Moses thought it would.

One day last week, I came into Moses' room and found her playing with her animals and tea set her Siti had given her for her birthday. (Thanks, Siti!!) At first glance, I marveled at how perfectly appointed the tea party was. Each animal had a plate in front of it. In the upper right-hand corner there was a cup and saucer for each one. Elizabeth...sorry, Moses...had then used long lincoln logs as silverware. But probably the best part was the item she was serving for the tea party. Moses announced, "Look, Mommy, it's manna. I'm giving my animals manna from heaven." That's right!! My little Moses had used the small lincoln logs to serve as her manna. It was a beautiful blend of Scripture and imagination. I was speechless.

8 comments:

Margaret said...

Taht is just about the most precious thing I've ever heard. Manna from heaven! How sweet.

Debi Morton said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Miss Mommy said...

LOVE this new one! I heard from Phyllis that she only responded to Moses! Too funny!

Debi Morton said...

How wonderful! I love her imagination as well, especially when I have the opportunity to share it with her. The fact that she loves to pretend she is someone else has always been one of my favorite things she does and I think it's delightful that she is imitating Bible characters now. What a treat her animals received from her--manna from heaven! You are teaching her well, Mom and Dad, and filling her heart with the Word that will remain forever.

Unknown said...

I'm so glad that I was able to experience this precious Moses for myself. I'm not sure I would have understood it fully without actually seeing it! It was fun to see all of you this weekend!

Amber said...

We like to call her "Mo". From an outsider's perspective: as I was with her on Tuesday, EVERYTIME I called her Elizabeth, she would persistenly respond with a simple, "Moses". And it wasn't until I called her by the right name that she would acknowledge I was talking to her.

Tyne said...

Beautiful and inspiring! You are a great mom, shannon- glory to God!

Sharen Leigh said...

shannon, i LOVE it! she is just too cute and such a sweet, funny blessing!