Monday, May 25, 2009

Blackberry Picking!

Matt's dad owns some land in East Texas. We affectionately call it "The Ranch" because there are in fact some cattle who live on the land. Although another guy takes care of the cattle, Matt's dad takes care of the land, including a fine garden where he has planted corn, squash, carrots, tomatoes, white and red onions, blackberries, raspberries, and lots of fruit trees. It's pretty impressive!!

Interestingly, there are also lots of wild blackberry bushes growing along his fences, and this weekend was a prime time for pickin'! So we invited our dear friends the Uptons to come with us for a day of fun in the country. I didn't get too many pics because we were having so much fun, but here's a few:









Then Maxwell took this pic of Elizabeth...


And she took this one of him.


In the end, we yielded about a cup of blackberries (we ate some, too), about a dozen white onions, and four sleepy kiddos. We had a blast and can't wait until the peaches ripen next month!

4 comments:

Debi Morton said...

I heard the day was a blast and I'm sorry I missed it. I'm definitely going next time. I loved the video of Elizabeth and Maxwell learning to fish. Glenn will have to send that to you. These pics are cute--esp. the one of E showing her bag of berries.

Unknown said...

I love blackberries! Sounds like a lot of fun!

Debi Morton said...

By the way, I love the new header picture! It's a great pic of all of you.

Miss Mommy said...

Oh my goodness- I am jonesin' for a Shannie pie! Since I just started a diet, that's not a good thing. ;) Anyway, great post and thank you, thank you for the great recs for memory verses. My mom got the cd too! LOVE the new header- you are so stylisth!!