Friday, June 15, 2007

Linguistically speaking

Being a student of the English language and an English major, it has been fun to listen to Elizabeth's growing speaking skills. On Wednesday, she made a huge jump, linguistically speaking, in the English language.

The "th" sound is unique in our language and is also a challenging sound to make. Throughout her entire life, Elizabeth has substituted "f" for "th" in words, for example "fee" for "three" and "teef" for "teeth." But yesterday for the first time, she actually said "think" not "fink." We were sitting at the breakfast table, and I couldn't help but clap for her. Then we both giggled as we practiced saying "think" over and over again just for fun. (Don't worry though I'm not wanting to push her too fast in giving up these precious pronunciations.)

In other news, I thought I would write a quick list of some of E's advanced vocabulary. Being a girl, she is quite articulate, and being a reader, she picks up and practices new words all the time. The fascinating thing is that she uses these words in context correctly. Here is a brief list of some recent noteworthy words:

actually
however
similar
matches (especially relating to clothes and shoes)
fist pump
notice
awesome
"pop out" as in go somewhere
proboscis (tongue on a butterfly)

We love this little girl!!

8 comments:

Lauren Brown said...

i got the photo you emailed me!! hoooray!! i love the little one already.

this weekend i was in Cadaques, which is on the northern coast of spain. we had to take a boat to get here and it was one of the most AMAZING things ive ever done!!! so incredibly beautiful, i kept thinking, ¨someone pinch me.¨

i hope things are going well there, tell the family hello. miss you and love you!

Miss Mommy said...

Okay- is your Austen profile form the quiz I sent you? I suppose I have to give you credit for Reebee's moo to get credit for that if indeed credit is due...?

BTW, mourning the development of Little E's articulation...

Debi Morton said...

Actually, I love to pop outside with Elizabeth when she is here. And I definitely thought it was awesome to see her giving everyone a fist pump yesterday!

The Knorr's said...

I can see it now...

"Actually, the proboscis on that awesome butterfly does not quite match the color of my painted toenails. However, the color is similar. I'm going to give a little fist pump for noticing that before I pop out to the library!"

She's a smart one, that Lizzie!

Shannon said...

Amy, seriously, your comments are so creative! Love it!

And I can definitely give you credit, Emmie, for leading all of us to the quiz! so many people are digging it!!

Lauren Brown said...

you will be in paris on the 27?? thats so great, because i dont leave until the 28th. how fun would it be to get together then!! let me know if you could possibly do that!!

also...i will be in paris for 3 nights and two full days. i cant wait to see your schedule and visit all the amazing places. yay paris!!!!

cant wait to see you soon! are you getting SO EXCITED about visiting your favorite city in the world!!??

The Knorr's said...

You're going to Paris, Shannon??!!

Matt said...

Seriously, she is quite the little smartiee.

But on another note, when will you update this blog? We miss our little slices of life with E.